Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What's For Dinner?

I've decided to do a weekly recipe review on the blog and this is the first one. You must understand, though, that I rarely follow a recipe. Rather, I like to think of them as a general guide. That is your warning!
I am amazed at the amount of content on magazine websites for non-subscribers. I have had a subscription to Cooking Light in the past, but no longer do. However, I was able to access many, many recipes on the website.
Last night, I made Bistro Braised Chicken and served it over noodles. It was yummy! My disclaimer, though, is that I did not add the dried plums. It might have made it better, but it just didn't sound appetizing to me.
I have started striving to not make one dinner for hubby & I and another one for the kids. This recipe was very easy to adapt to the kiddo's palate. I just removed a piece of chicken from the sauce and cut it up and put a little butter and parmesan (or as we call it in our house, shaky cheese) on the noodles, added some peas and strawberries on the side and they were good to go.
As a side for the adults, I made brussel sprouts. It was a new vegetable adventure for me, but I had a friend tell me how much she liked them, so I thought I'd try. I just got the steamfresh frozen ones, steamed them and added a touch of butter and salt and pepper. They aren't bad, not my favorite taste, but I would definitely make them again.
I would recommend the Bistro Braised Chicken recipe from Cooking Light. Not only was it simple, but cheap - $2.10 per serving (4 servings). It was probably cheaper than that for me since I didn't use the dried plums.
Feel free to share links to some of your favorite recipes or new ones you have tried this week!

1 comment:

  1. Confession: I really like burssel sprouts, like them so much that they are comfort food when I'm not feeling well, like mac-n-cheese for some people. My husband find that so funny and we kid about like a weird talent one keeps to themselves. I hope they are really good for me, because I think the name is what is not that appealing. Fewww, I feel better now that's out in the open :)

    ReplyDelete